8.23.2011

The Classic Manhattan

2oz blended or straight whiskey
1oz Italian sweet vermouth
2 dashes of Angostura bitters
Cherry, for garnish

Pour all ingredients over ice in a mixing glass and stir as you would a Martini. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass or into a rocks glass. Garnish with the cherry.


Now I know what you're thinking: A Manhattan is easy! It's basic with just a few ingredients, and I'm sure you've made one before, especially since you were raised by a father whose paramount drink is the Wild Turkey Manhattan. So, why are you including this on your list of 25 new cocktails, and why is it the first one?!?!

Well, because I can, and because I should. Because up until tonight, I actually had no idea what the proportions were supposed to be. I've never made a Manhattan with bitters, though I have made them with a few drops of that borderline sickeningly sweet maraschino cherry liquid. And although I can make my dad's delicious version blindfolded, it was high time I learned how to do it in the classic style. (As it turns out, my dad's version is a lot closer than most of what they're serving you out and about).

For the past 7 years (well, maybe a bit longer...), I've considered myself a vodka drinker, and although I'm not quite ready to answer the "What's your drink of choice?" question with anything but a quick "Vodka Gimlet," I will say that I am becoming a huge fan of all things whiskey. I'll warn you now that you can expect to see a disproportionately large number of whiskey drinks included on this 25 new cocktails list.

But don't worry mom, I promise to include at least one or two for you...

The recipe for this drink (and all future ones unless otherwise noted) was taken from The Craft of the Cocktail by Dale DeGroff, a wonderfully informative book which finally taught me the difference between Irish Whiskey and Scotch, as well as a host of other bartending tidbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment