11.14.2011

Road race 1 of 5

Last weekend my entire family participated in the Race for Hope, a 5k dedicated to raising funds for brain tumor research. We joined a team of 43 participants known as Katie's Krusaders, running and walking in honor and memory of the sister and aunt of some of my family's longtime friends. As a team, we raised over $5,000.00!

I've done a 10 miler and a half-marathon before, but this was my first 5k. It certainly was a beautiful morning for a run, but I have to admit that I wasn't prepared for such a fast race as I'm used to pacing a bit more for the longer miles. While I'm not exactly happy with my time (which I'll keep to myself), I'm glad to know that I can push myself a lot harder on my next 5k. I was, however, very proud of my family for participating. My parents and sister walked with my niece and nephew, Jake and I ran together, and my brother-in-law, Michael, placed third overall!

Afterwards, my family of eight went to a great brunch at one of Jake's and my favorite places, Cochon, where we all indulged ourselves with a delicious meal. The entire day was a great experience to share with my family and close friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment