1.04.2012

Coffee for Another

As you may have noticed (or not since I have a whopping eight subscribers) I did a poor job of writing about my December adventures in December. One should not infer from this, however, that I have not been staying on task to complete my list in a timely fashion. To the contrary, I chipped away at six of the goals on my list, completing four in their entirety.

One such mission was to buy coffee for the person behind me in line. Thank goodness I didn't buy it for the person in front of me, not only because she was wearing a Rick Santorum pin, but because #52 specifically states the person behind me. Whew.

Needless to say, he was caught off guard. I simply gave him a smile, wished him happy holidays, and went on my way to work, hugging my warm americano.

I'm not sure what type of reaction I was expecting to elicit. He was a bit awkward, but grateful. My hope is that it brightened the start of his day, and didn't completely throw him for a loop. What would your reaction be if a stranger paid for your coffee? Gratefulness? Suspicion? Would you wonder if he or she was hitting on you? Would you be totally freaked out and run the other way? I hope that it would just encourage you to do the same for someone else. Yes, in that totally cheesy Haley Joel Osment Pay It Forward sort of way.

And by Haley Joel Osment, I mean the cute kid version, not the creepy bearded one.

No comments:

Post a Comment