7.17.2011

in re #12: 20 new books

I don't like the label "slow" reader. I much prefer "deliberate." This is mostly because I know that I can read quickly, I simply choose not to, especially when I'm reading a book for the very first time. Why should I skim whole paragraphs when the author made a deliberate choice to use this word over that one. When I'm reading a new book, I like to envelope myself within it.

I think doing so helps me to appreciate and understand it all the more. Unfortunately, doing so also means that it takes me a much longer time to read a few hundred pages than it would otherwise. As a result, reading is a commitment in which I don't invest nearly enough time...until now.

#12 on my list is "Read at least twenty new books." Right now, my progress parenthetical reads 0/20. I'm hoping that by the end of this, that numerator will not just match, but exceed that denominator.

First up is Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love food. And even if you don't know me, but have happened to read through my to-do list, you should be able to glean that it's pretty important to me by the mere number of tasks involving the eating and/or making of gastronomical delights. It's more than appropriate, ergo, that my first book be about food.

P.S.- An ongoing catalogue of my literary adventures can always be found at the top of my blog, or by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I love this book. It's early Bourdain so it's very raw and blunt. I think he's matured a lot over the years, but I still respect his cynicism in this book.

    ReplyDelete