7.18.2011

in re #16: from scratch

Banana Rum Bread

This is technically the fourth thing that I baked from scratch this month.


The first round of baking included Breakfast Biscuit Sandwiches, which I would highly recommend to anyone with the one suggestion of cutting the amount of salt in half (and that's saying something coming from me). I would have used this recipe, but I hadn't even finished my list at that point so I opted not to count the biscuits as one of the thirty-three.


The second round of baking was for a July 4th party wherein I made a delicious chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting and chocolate-peanut butter ganache with Ms. ELG. This recipe was only half new to me though, as I had already made the chocolate cake previously (pairing it with a chocolate coffee icing), so I decided that counting it as my first new-to-me from-scratch baking item would be a bit like cheating (and it's way too early in this thing to be cheating). You can read all about our baking experience on Erica's blog though, and I highly suggest you do as that cake was unbelievably delicious.


The third round of baking included making croutons from the then stale biscuits made the weekend before. It's funny how quickly biscuits just don't keep the right texture for very long. All that involved was cutting the biscuits into big chunks, drizzling on the melted butter, throwing in an assortment of dried herbs, and baking for an hour at 350° with a few shakes of the sheet halfway through. These were delicious, but the project didn't feel quite worthy of its own entry.


Thus, Banana Rum Bread...


The combination of three perfectly browned bananas in our kitchen and not being able to fall back asleep this morning after waking up way too early before work led to a delicious result.

I slightly tweaked a recipe for Banana Bread I found at Simply Recipes that required no mixer. I have one, but it was nice to not use it that early in the morning. The end product was a moist, not too sweet bread that will stretch the life of those otherwise doomed-for-the-trash bananas. This is definitely one recipe I'll be keeping, if I ever get around to doing #6 that is.
      
For those interested, here's the final recipe:

Ingredients 
  • 3 medium to large ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 1.5 tablespoons dark rum 
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions
Preheat your oven to 350° and butter a 4x8 loaf pan. Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet ones. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for one hour, or until a toothpick comes out (relatively) clean. Cool on a rack, slice, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment